05 May 2012

Dust it Off Bloghop - Excerpt


Dust it Off Bloghop Day 2: Post your favorite excerpt from Ol' Shelvy. 300-350 word limit.


For day 1, click here.


This excerpt is only 221 words. I've always loved this scene; it's the second scene of Chapter 1. Here, Shua finds out who he really is and that he's not fully human.


~*~
A figure stood in the middle of the room. His hair was long and black and he wore a robe so white it glowed. Shua couldn't have guessed his age, although he was definitely not a child. He seemed old and young at the same time. "Shua," he said again. "Shua, my son."

"Who are you?" Shua whispered.

"My name is Arcanin."

Shua's eyes widened and he fell to his knees. "My Lord!"

Arcanin smiled and lifted the young man to his feet. "You know who I am." He sounded pleased.

"Of course! Merofin taught me of you and your Brothers. But I never thought I'd meet you!"

"This is not our first meeting, Shua," Arcanin said.

"What?"

"You were very young and cannot remember." Arcanin's blue eyes took on a faraway look and he smiled fondly. "I remember you were a very curious child, always exploring." He focused on the young man's face. "Shua, what do you remember of your childhood?"

"Very little," he admitted. "There was a woman who smelled like flowers - but I don't remember what she looked like."

"Your mother, Sha'Nya," Arcanin said quietly. "She was beautiful."

Shua was quiet for a moment. Then he asked, "And my father? I remember nothing of him."

The Guardian put his hand on Shua's shoulder. "I am your father."

12 comments:

  1. Oh what is he? Who is this guy? What is going on? I want to know more! Great excerpt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and there you have it! It's like Star Wars all over again. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, it's so touching and exciting at the same time. I love the names, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, great reveal scene! It had something very tender about it, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Laura! So many questions I want answers to. More please. I want to know what happens next, what he is, and more about the dad and why he has never known of him. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice excerpt! And awesome revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Nice reveal at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful scene you've created here... I definitely felt it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the big reveal! This is great :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you can't leave us hanging like this! I want more!
    Great scene ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. asweet meeting & reveal! excellent work =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to know more! Agghh.... it's too short.

    ReplyDelete