13 June 2012

50,000 Words?

The goal for Camp NaNoWriMo is 50,000 words written during the month of June. I'm currently sitting at just over 5000 and we're almost halfway through. And I'm almost done writing the story. I've got only a few scenes left and then the in-between parts to write. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get anywhere near 50,000 words.

This isn't a surprise for me. When I was in university, I never was able to write the 2000-3000 word essays the professors asked for. My essays were usually 1000-1500 words if I really padded them out. I hated those minimum word requirements. My favourite professor didn't have word requirements; he always said, "Say what you need to say, and then stop."

It's a little different with fiction, though. I can always go back and add in descriptions and such when revising. However, I'm sure I'll also be cutting while I'm revising, so I don't know if that will raise my word count by much. I'm not too worried about it though. I will say what I need to say, and then I will stop. If my novel is more of a novelette, that's fine too. I'll make it the best novelette I can make it. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think different story ideas naturally fit different lengths. If this just wasn't a novel-length idea, there's nothing wrong with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is what it is. I'm not sure fleshing out something that is done is the way to go. You could always join me in my rebellion: I'm writing short stories at camp. Just start another piece! No one will know, and you'll be that much closer to 50k. (P.S. I'm just barely over 10k, so I'm quite behind too.)

    ReplyDelete