07 September 2012

What Goes Around Comes Around?

Do to others as you would have them do to you. Luke 6:31 NIV
A man reaps what he sows. Galatians 6:7b NIV
Use every man after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping? Hamlet Act II Scene 2

This morning, on the way to work, we were trying to pull out into traffic, and no one would let us in. I commented that when I am part of the traffic, and I see someone trying to get in, I let them in. DH joked that he doesn't let people in so I should be driving since I have good karma.

Do you believe in karma? If you do good then good things will happen to you, and if you do evil then misfortune shall befall you. Of course, it's not that simple, but if everyone followed the Golden Rule (Luke 6:31), the world would be a much happier place.

Since I'm a writer, I was thinking about karma in writing. When my character does something good, should I have good things happen to him? I don't think that would be very interesting. What do you think? Most writing advice says to have bad things happen to your MCs.

No comments:

Post a Comment