03 July 2013

Review of The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I highly recommend reading The False Prince before reading this book. Not because the story cannot stand on its own; because the "big reveal" in the first book is ruined if you read this one first.

In this book, Sage is now king and nothing is going right. You'd think that winning the throne and convincing everyone he is the lost prince Jaron would be the end of the battle, but no. His troubles have only begun.

Sage is a wonderful character; Jennifer A. Nielsen has done an amazing job of of crafting him. Although I didn't always agree with his choices (sometimes I wanted to reach into the pages and shake him), I always understood his motivations. Supporting characters are well-done too. We don't see their motivations as clearly, but that's because we are seeing everything from Sage's point of view. There is one character who switches side without enough motivation in my opinion, and Sage trusts him, which I wouldn't do if I were him.

The plot isn't too predictable, although the ending isn't quite as much of a surprise as the first book was. But really, what is?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment