.

Buy me a coffee

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Trending on this blog

My Books

Esther Spurrill Jones's books on Goodreads

My Pinboards

Follow Me on Pinterest

Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Esther has read 11 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Catalogue

Writers Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Scribophile

Scribophile, the online writing group for serious writers

Blog Archive

Esther Spurrill Jones. Powered by Blogger.
19 October 2016
The prompt today is tree, and the suggested poetry type is ode, which isn't a form at all, but a generic catch-all term for a poem that is written in praise of something or someone. While thinking about what to write, the song Snowbird by Anne Murray started running through my head, so I decided to use its rhyme and rhythm for my poem today.

Ode to a Tree

Beneath your leafy branches full and broad,
I stand with face uplifted for my heart is truly awed
By everything you do and all you are
For I am certain that you truly are a superstar.


When I was young, I climbed among your boughs
And, snuggled in your grasp, I felt safe enough to drowse.
Today I wish that I could once again
Ascend among your branches to a place where I remain.


Spread your branches sweeping over me,
And let me hide for just a while from harsh reality.
The days are speeding ever swiftly by,
And if I could, I’d love to stay and watch the world rush by.



1 comments:

Mark said...

That'll get stuck in my head