27 October 2016

OctPoWriMo 27 - Cinnamon and Spice

Today's prompt is favourite scent, and the suggested form is the ghazal. I thought about it for awhile, and I guess my favourite scent is cinnamon. I like it in everything, even coffee and tea. I remember my mom making cinnamon buns when I was a kid, rolling out the dough on the dining table and spreading butter thickly over it then sprinkling it with cinnamon and brown sugar. The whole house smelled amazing while she baked them.

Cinnamon and Spice

Years ago, my mother baked with cinnamon and spice:
Sticky buns and pies and cakes with cinnamon and spice.


I love to sip a steaming mug when Autumn’s chill begins:
Tea or apple cider’s great with cinnamon and spice.


Coloured leaves and pumpkins fill my house this Fall;
I just love to decorate with cinnamon and spice.


Scents can trigger memories more than anything,
And when I think of holidays, it’s cinnamon and spice.


If I had a choice between several different scents,
Most days the one that I would take is cinnamon and spice.


1 comment: